What can we offer you?
At NCFE we genuinely believe that we reward and treat our colleagues well and that NCFE is a great place to work. As a result, everyone provides a great level of service to our customers and colleagues. This enables us to grow and earn the money that we can then re-invest in the company and the people for the benefit of our customers.
These are the benefits whilst working at NCFE:
- Our head office is at Q6, Quorum Business Park, Benton, Newcastle upon Tyne which is ideally situated for bus routes with Four Lane Ends Metro station nearby.
- We also have offices in Houghton – le – Spring, Mansfield and Q16 Quorum.
- We offer a generous holiday entitlement:
- for most posts, the basic entitlement is 25 days’ annual leave, rising to 27 days after 2 years’ service
This doesn’t include Bank Holidays (you get those as well!) and, in addition, we’d close the office between Christmas and New Year, which doesn’t come out of your holiday entitlement.
- We know that keeping a sensible work-life balance is really important so we try to find ways to support you to do this. We have a very flexible flexi time policy for all eligible roles, we have technology that supports people to work remotely and consider all manner of flexible working requests. Of course we have a business to run so have to balance the needs of colleagues with those of our customers but we try to flexible when we can be.
- Whilst you are in employment with NCFE, you are insured for four times your annual salary. You will need to complete an Expression of Wish form and submit this to the HRD Team to ensure that your wishes are carried out.
- We operate a flexible pension scheme into which all eligible colleagues will be automatically enrolled into from their start date. We’ll pay the equivalent of 9% of salary into your pension fund as long as you
contribute a minimum of 3% yourself. You are able to change your contribution levels if you wish.
- We regularly benchmark our salaries against comparable roles in the area to make sure that we’re paying fairly. We also have a range of rewards to recognise and reward performance at an individual, team and company level.
- We want the best people to join us so if you need to relocate to be here at NCFE then we may be able to support you with your relocation expenses if you currently live more than 50 miles from our offices.
In addition, these are the benefits currently available to you which we regularly review and update:
- We operate a healthcare plan which enables you to claim towards the cost of your everyday health costs such as dental and optical care and therapy treatments, you also get access to a 24 hour counselling line
and GP advice line for those moments when you need some extra help and support.
Travel to work
- As we have limited car parking available and cannot guarantee a parking space for all colleagues we support you in a variety of ways to travel to work by different means:
Interest free loans for public transport travel pass
- We encourage use of public transport, so to help you with your travel to and from work we offer an interest free loan to buy a discounted annual travel pass. This could save you more than £100 on your annual travel costs.
- We’re signed up to the Government’s Green Transport Cycle to Work Initiative which enables you to make big savings on the purchase of a new bike and pay for it in instalments, via tax-free salary sacrifice once you have completed your probationary period. We have secure bike parking and shower facilities in our office so you can commute by bike to work. For more information on this scheme, please visit
Learning and development
- As you might expect from an organisation dealing with education, we place great emphasis on developing our colleagues. This starts on day one with the start of an in depth induction programme and continues throughout your career with NCFE. You’ll take responsibility for your own learning and development and will actively seek opportunities to improve, you’ll do this with support from your line manager and our Learning and Development Team who’ll help you to identify, plan and address your needs.
‘Welcome to our World’ induction
- We give all colleagues a thorough induction into the organisation, this includes developing you to carry out the duties and responsibilities of your role, helping you learn about the different teams in the organisation so you know who your colleagues are, what they do and how you can work together as one team. There’s
a cultural induction which includes an introduction to service excellence and values of the company which will help you to understand the behaviours which will help you to have a successful career with NCFE.
Ongoing learning and development
- We invest in your skills and development throughout your career with NCFE to enable you to deliver the best service to our customers and to develop your expertise in your specialist area. We use a variety of learning methods and tailor our learning to meet business priorities and individual needs.
Support for other development
- If you need development for your job, we’ll fund it in full. If you want to do something a little more to do with your personal development, this could be a short course or qualification; we’ll still make a contribution towards it if we can. The support includes a contribution towards payment of fees, paid time off to attend events, paid time off for exams, contribution towards purchase of core course books.
Personal development allowance
- We give an allowance of £200 a year to all colleagues once they have completed their probation. They can use this allowance on absolutely any type of training activity of their choice, which needn’t be anything to do
with work. This year, colleagues have spent their allowance on skiing lessons, driving lessons, card making course, website design course, pottery, dancing lessons, Spanish lessons, sailing lessons, woodworking
and many more.
Free NCFE qualifications
- On completion of your probation, you can do NCFE qualifications where we will contribute up to £400 towards the cost of the course – with our qualifications ranging from Creative Craft and Art and Design to Personal Money Management and Food Safety Management, there’s something for everyone.
Adult Learner’s Week
- Once a year we encourage you to showcase your talents and share them with colleagues so they can learn from you. We’re a talented bunch, with recent sessions ranging from learning to play the guitar, vintage, hairstyles, improving your memory and improving your handwriting.
That little bit extra…
- It’s important to keep you hydrated so you can perform at your best so we offer a variety of drinks at our tea points including decent tea and coffee, a variety of herbal teas and fruit squashes – all free of charge.
All Colleague events
- Every few months we close the office for the afternoon to hold an all colleague event. It’s a chance to get everyone together as a business and share important information.
- We have a Christmas party every year, which gives everyone an opportunity to dance the night away. In previous years we’ve had a masked ball, live bands, a ‘casino’ with roulette and black jack tables.
Our Trophy Cabinet
- In June 2015, we won HR&D Team of the Year at the CIPD North East of England HR&D Awards.
- In July 2015, we were again awarded the Gold Standard Investors in People status
- We’ve been in the Sunday Times Top 100 Public or Third Sector Company to Work For, for the past 5 years in a row, most recently we were 51st.
- We’ve been recognised in the Top 50 Companies for Customer Service since 2014, most recently we were 22nd
- In 2009 we won 2 UK Customer Experience Awards for Best Medium Organisation and Culture and People.
- We won the CIPD Regional Award for Innovation in Recruitment and Retention and HR&D Excellence through Technology. .