Go the distance – research and insights
Through ‘go the distance’, we’re working with insightful colleagues like the Learning & Work Institute, Recruitment and Employment Confederation, MH+A and others to study the economic and labour market context, and draw actionable insights to help providers design and deliver brilliant youth employment programmes.
Blogs and podcasts
We’ll publish a series of blogs and podcasts on relevant themes throughout the autumn. Keep an eye on this page for our latest. Subscribe via our podcast host Podbean.
- Check out our first, long read blog on the youth employment challenge and what we’re doing about it here. In the blog our CEO David Gallagher and Board Advisor Matt Hamnett argue that young people have already been disproportionately impacted by the economic and labour market implications of the pandemic. Given the long-term scarring impact that a prolonged period of youth employment can have on an individual, we’re determined to act.
- 16-19 tuition fund - £96m available for the 2020-21 academic year for schools, colleges and other 16 to 19 providers to mitigate the disruption to learning arising from Covid-19. Read more about the 16-19 tuition fund.
- Read more about how retaining the £20 social security uplift in the autumn budget is essential for low income families. Read more.
- 5 tips for building your employability programme. Read more about the key things you can do to ensure your employability programme works.
- Listen to our first podcast, where NCFE’s Chief Executive David Gallagher joins Matt Hamnett of MH&A Consultancy, Stephen Evans from Learning and Work Institute and Neil Carberry from the Recruitment and Employment Confederation for an insightful discussion on the challenges of youth employment.
- Read our blog on the support for FE and training in Sunak’s Winter Economic Plan.
- Find out more about the Prime Minister’s plans for a Lifetime Skills Guarantee in our blog.
- MAC committee warn of social care staffing crisis - Read more.
We thought colleagues might also find it helpful if we rounded up some of the most important sources of data on the pandemic, economy and labour market. Colleagues at the Learning & Work Institute have produced a wide range of relevant research and analysis which you can find here. Likewise, the REC produces regular updates on labour market activity and insights which you can find here.
- You can find the latest Government advice, including on local restrictions here.
- You can find the latest ONS datasets on Covid-19, including analysis of the social impact of the pandemic here.
- You can find the latest ONS labour market data, including most recent employment and unemployment statistics here.
- You can find the latest ONS economic performance data, including e.g. GDP estimates, here.
- You can find newly released data from the Institute for Employment Studies here.
Go the Distance podcast
Listen to our latest podcast for an insightful take on the current state of youth employment, featuring a range of experts from the sector.
The long road ahead
Hear more from David Gallagher, NCFE’s CEO and Strategic Advisor to NCFE’s board, Matt Hamnett, on taking decisive action on youth employment.
Speak to our experts!
Leave your details and we’ll be in touch.