Helping you to engage hard to reach adult learners and ensure they have the confidence to retrain and upskill in the current climate.
The ongoing impact of the pandemic on adults is set to be tangible with the number of job losses increasing. While certain sectors have been impacted heavily, there are some sectors which are bucking this trend and showing growth.
However, the jobs many had intended to last for the duration of their career may no longer exist or not be secure and learners will be looking to education and training in order to retrain or upskill and find a fresh start.
Therefore, offering new employment opportunities in growing sectors will be pivotal in helping adults on to their next steps.
How NCFE can support adult learners
Adult learners who may not have previously considered alternative training or areas of employment, may find the options daunting, may be unsure of the route they now want to take, and unaware of the educational pathway that might now be their only option.
NCFE is determined to play our part in supporting colleagues across the adult education sector to engage these potentially hard to reach adult learners and support them on their next steps.
As a result, we have expanded our go the distance initiative, ensuring that adult learners are supported during this challenging time.
Through go the distance, we want to…
- provide a range of qualifications that will give learners the best possible chance of finding employment in growing sectors, by giving them the skills they need to succeed.
- ease adults back into learning and education by providing them with clear pathways into growing sectors.
- equip learners with the skills and confidence they need to assess their options while studying and identify a suitable employment or career pathway.
- give employers the reassurance that adults coming from different sectors have the skills they need to make the transition into a new industry area.
- support adults seeking to start their own business, providing them with the knowledge to make their dreams a reality.
- work with providers to offer regional expertise, from regional engagement activity already undertaken, and help them to build a curriculum which maps to their local priorities.
We have identified the following growth sectors which are core for our adult go the distance offer:
- Health and Social Care (including Childcare and Early Years)
- Business and Enterprise
- Low Carbon (Environmental Conservation)
- Warehousing and Distribution
Most of the qualifications on offer in the above sectors can be funded through the Adult Education Budget, either through the ESFA (national) or via a Mayoral Combined Authority (including the Greater London Authority).
The sectors are evidenced regionally through existing skills plans or Covid recovery plans, facilitating curriculum mapping and meeting the requirements of the Ofsted Education Inspection Framework. Our local Account Executives can offer full help and support with curriculum building and mapping. Fill in our form on the right, and we’ll be in touch!
We understand that not all adults wish to work or undertake learning in these sectors so our go the distance initiative is enhanced by the availability of our full adult provision.
This also offers flexibility for our colleagues within adult education to enhance their curriculum in line with their current contracts, or to bid for additional funding when the opportunity arises. Again, our regional Account Executives can offer full help and support with curriculum building and mapping.
How to select the best qualifications
A key component is our Adult Programme Builder, a tool which enables a bespoke programme to be built which is appropriate to your adult learners. This includes qualifications from the list of growing sectors so you can identify new learning pathways and help your learners on their journey to employment or gaining new skills.
Tell me more!
Go the distance
Find out more about the other components that make up our youth employability initiative.
Explore our adult programme builder and build a bespoke programme of learning for your adult learners
Materials and resources
To complement and enhance your delivery we have a range of resources, including additional resources from our partners.
These includes schemes of work, teaching resources, workbooks and support materials.
Plus, we have more coming soon in the new year – watch this space!
Experts in employability
Skills Work is a psychometric employability skills test that will quickly and objectively assess learners’ employability skills, identifying strengths and areas for development.
Essential English and maths
Skills Builder is an eLearning solution for Functional Skills and GCSE maths and English which includes diagnostics, resources,
progression tracking and assessments.