What are Traineeships?
Traineeships are short periods of training and work experience designed for learners who aren’t ready to take an Apprenticeship or start work. The flexibility of Traineeships offers employers the opportunity to help build a pool of high-quality future recruits for their sector and they’re an ideal opportunity for young people, aged 16-24, who are motivated to get a job but lack the skills and experience that employers are looking for.
For more information see our Traineeships Explained page.
Why deliver Traineeships with NCFE?
Our unique Traineeship offer includes:
- A variety of fundable Traineeship programmes in different industry sectors. All of our example Traineeship programmes break down the funding allocations so you can easily see what’s available. They also contain regulated qualifications which will add to the quality and rigour of your delivery. See our sample Traineeship programmes.
- Free learning resources for many of our qualifications. Our ‘delivery-ready’ package includes Tutor delivery plans, a PowerPoint presentation and a series of supporting learner resources.
- A mix and match package to allow you to tailor your Traineeships to individual learners. With over 200 fundable qualifications to choose from including a suite of maths and English qualifications, why would you go anywhere else? Our Traineeship Builder is presented in an easy-to-use spreadsheet with one tab showing EFA fundable qualifications, and one tab showing SFA fundable qualifications.
- Accreditation Services allow you to develop your own in-house training to suit the needs of employers, learners and local skills requirements. If you prefer to use your own training courses as part of a Traineeship programme, our accreditation team will be happy to help you. Your learners will also receive a certificate of achievement at the end of their course. For more information see our Accreditation Services page.
How are Traineeships funded?
Traineeships cross over the 2 different Further Education funding streams; 16-19 Traineeships should support the Study Programme principles, and 19-24 Traineeships should follow the Skills Funding Agency (SFA) funding rules.
- 16-18 Traineeships should fit alongside & support the Education Funding Agency (EFA) principles.
- Providers without an EFA contract can deliver Traineeships to 16-19 year olds through their SFA contract for provision of Apprenticeships/Traineeships.
- 19-24 year olds should fit with the SFA funding rules.
- 18-24 year olds can now claim welfare JSA payments in undertaking a Traineeship.
- Funding is provided in one block for the whole Traineeship, not by qualification.
You can use our Traineeship Builder to help build your Traineeship and see which qualifications are fundable. Please note: although every care has been taken to ensure accuracy of this document, it is recommended you refer to the latest version of the LARS database or the SFA funding catalogue to ensure the qualification you wish to deliver is eligible for funding.
We've provided some useful links below:
SFA Funding Rules
Get in touch
At NCFE, we can help you to plan and deliver your personalised Traineeships programmes, ensuring your learners are prepared and confident in moving their education or workplace development forward.
For further information on Traineeships and how NCFE can help you, contact a member of our Business Development team - they’d be happy to help!