The Centre of Excellence is the first of its kind to be launched in the UK and will draw on WorldSkills UK’s unique insights into global skills systems as well as NCFE’s expertise in technical education to mainstream excellence in skills development.
The programme will work directly with educators so that they become artful and inspiring world-class teaching practitioners, ultimately driving systemic change within colleges and training providers.
We hope that as a result of this programme, more young people from all backgrounds will be inspired to take up apprenticeships and technical education as a prestige route to success.
The three-year pilot project, which rolls out in September, will form the foundation of a roll-out to hundreds of colleges and training providers across the UK.
"The development of skills is a crucial aspect of enabling young people to reach their full potential. High quality learning experiences builds confidence, self-esteem and enables people to be the best they can be. Central to great learning experiences are great educators, and for the UK to be competitive on a global scale, we know that we need more truly world-class educators in our technical education and skills system. As two organisations with a common purpose for the promotion and advancement of learning, we are delighted to be working together with WorldSkills UK to invest in the development of world class technical educators.” - David Gallagher – NCFE Chief Executive.
About the partnership: why NCFE and WorldSkills UK are the perfect fit
- Shared ambition and mission - Both organisations have a desire to develop a world-class skills system. NCFE’s purpose to ‘promote and advance learning’ aligns with World Skills UK’s mission - that every young person succeeds in work and life.
- Expertise – Both organisations have a strong heritage but are at the forefront of technical education. NCFE can learn from WorldSkills UK’s international reach whilst WorldSkills UK can benefit from NCFE’s expertise in creating impact through qualification and curriculum development.
- Social purpose – Both organisations work tirelessly to promote social mobility and prosperity.
Who is the Centre of Excellence for and what will it achieve?
The Centre of Excellence will make a tangible, positive difference for learners in technical education. By 2023, the WorldSkills UK Centre of Excellence will:
- promote and advance technical learning so that teaching quality is higher, and staff, student and apprentice performance is raised
- support educators to learn from international best practice, gain industry relevant skills that enhance their career development and progression, and act as catalysts for raising standards across technical education
- provide learners with increased confidence and career aspiration, giving them a springboard for transition in further education and careers
- give employers a more highly qualified and performing young workforce which will support higher business productivity
- boost social mobility to change the lives of learners of all backgrounds.
Sir Charlie and the King – Excellence in Leadership
We were delighted when our CEO David Gallagher was asked by WorldSkills UK to contribute to its collection of essays on skills excellence, with other authors consisting of education & skills luminaries such as Former Skills Minister, the Rt Hon Anne Milton, Dr Susan James Relly from Skope and the foreword written by Minister for Apprenticeships & Skills, Gillian Keegan MP. We were told that David’s piece was quite distinct from the others, and on reading it, you’ll see why. A very different and personal look at Excellence in Leadership, and the experiences which have shaped his views on it – including Sir Charlie and the King. Intrigued? You should be!
Impacting more than 120 educational institutions
Training nearly 1000 technical educators
Raising achievement for more than 40,000 learners
What does the programme consist of?
The programme will cover three strands:
- train the trainer modules
- real time harnessing of international industry best practice through current preparation for WorldSkills Shanghai 2021
- influencing setters of training standards.
Find out more
Discover more about the Centre of Excellence and realise the huge benefits it could bring to staff and learners.
As the official launch of the WorldSkills UK Centre of Excellence, in partnership with NCFE, draws ever closer, we are delighted to welcome on board the newly appointed High-Performance Skills Coaches!