NCFE CACHE Level 2 Certificate in the Principles of Dementia Care
Health, Public Services and Care,Health and Social Care
Learning Resources Available
Registration & certification fee:
Minimum entry age:
What does this qualification cover?
This qualification aims to assist learners to develop their knowledge and understanding of the principles of caring for those with dementia.
It covers areas such as person-centred care, the influence of positive communication methods, issues relating to the use of medication for those with dementia and the importance of providing appropriate activities.
The qualification doesn't infer competence in the work role, but can be used to support the underpinning knowledge and understanding needed for those working in or towards a dementia care role.
Who is it suitable for?
This qualification is suitable for learners aged 16 or above who wish to progress onto further education or the workplace.
What are the entry requirements?
There are no specific recommended prior learning requirements for this qualification; however learners might find it helpful if they've already achieved a Level 1 qualification in a health or social care related area.
How is this qualification structured?
To be awarded the Level 2 Certificate in the Principles of Dementia Care learners are required to successfully complete 7 mandatory units:
- Unit 01 Dementia awareness
- Unit 02 The person-centred approach to the care and support of individuals with dementia
- Unit 03 Understand the factors that can influence communication and interaction with individuals who have dementia
- Unit 04 Understand equality, diversity and inclusion in dementia care
- Unit 05 Understand the administration of medication to individuals with dementia using a person-centred approach
- Unit 06 Understand behaviour in the context of dementia
- Unit 07 Understand the benefits of engaging in activities in social care
How is it assessed?
To achieve the Level 2 Certificate in the Principles of Dementia Care, learners must successfully demonstrate their achievement of all learning outcomes and assessment criteria of the 7 mandatory units.
The Level 2 Certificate in the Principles of Dementia Care is internally assessed.
What related qualifications can you progress to?
This qualification provides progression to a number of qualifications including:
- Level 3 Certificate in Preparing to Work in Adult Social Care
- Level 3 Diplomas in Health and Social Care (Adults) for England
Funding for our qualifications
Find out more about funding for this and other qualifications on our funding page.
Which type of job roles can you apply for on completion?
This qualification supports progression to employment and progression within employment for the following job roles:
- healthcare support service worker
- clinical healthcare support worker
- healthcare assistant
- nursing assistant
- mental health support worker
- mental health outreach worker
- substance misuse worker
- personal assistants employed directly by the individual they support or their families