NCFE CACHE Level 2 Certificate in Understanding the Safe Handling of Medication in Health and Social Care
Health, Public Services and Care,Health,Health and Social Care
Learning Resources Available
Registration & certification fee:
Minimum entry age:
What does this qualification cover?
This qualification aims to help learners develop:
• a general understanding of different types of medication and their use
• knowledge of the procedures for obtaining, storing, administering and disposing of medication
• an understanding of legislation and the audit process related to medication and issues of responsibility and accountability
• an understanding of the record-keeping process for medication.
This is a knowledge-based qualification; achievement will not allow learners to be considered occupationally competent in the administration of medication.
Who is it suitable for?
This qualification is designed for learners wishing to develop their understanding of the safe handling of medicines. They may be learners who wish to access this training with a view to progress to further qualifications, or learners who wish to study this programme in order to complement other studies.
This qualification is suitable for learners aged 18 and above.
What are the entry requirements?
There are no specific recommended prior learning requirements for this qualification. However, learners may find it helpful if they’ve already achieved a Level 1 qualification.
How is this qualification structured?
To be awarded the Level 2 Certificate in Understanding the Safe Handling of Medication in Health and Social Care, learners are required to successfully complete 4 mandatory units:
• Unit 01 Understand medication and prescriptions
• Unit 02 Supply, storage and disposal of medication
• Unit 03 Understand the requirements for the safe administration of medication
• Unit 04 Record-keeping and audit processes for medication
How is it assessed?
To be awarded the Level 2 Certificate in Understanding the Safe Handling of Medication in Health and Social Care, learners are required to successfully complete 4 mandatory units.
The Level 2 Certificate in Understanding the Safe Handling of Medication in Health and Social Care is internally assessed.
What related qualifications can you progress to?
Learners who achieve this qualification could progress to the following:
• Level 2 and 3 Diplomas in Health and Social Care (Adults) England
• Level 2 and 3 Certificate in Preparing to Working in Adult Social Care
• Level 3 Certificate in the Principles of End of Life Care
Funding for our qualifications
Find out more about funding for this and other qualifications on our funding page.
Hallmark Education resources
Understand Medication and Prescriptions (Y/601/9571)
Supply, Storage and Disposal of Medication (F/506/3800)
Understand the Requirements for the Safe Administration of Medication (Y/506/3799)
Record-Keeping and Audit Processes for Medication (J/506/3801)